Over the past two years, I’ve been one of those people who’s “travelled for work”. Here’s what I’ve learned, through my own experience and from others’:
- Choose vegan meal options.
- If time zones mean that you’re offered an extra meal than you’d normally eat in a day – skip it.
- Drink lots of water.
- Don’t eat too much before getting on the plane.
When staying at hotels:
- Never pay for “breakfast included” – it’s too expensive and too crowded – go to a local café instead.
- Use the hotel gym rather than the mini bar.
- Make friends with the room service people.
- Always take your own shampoo/conditioner.
When staying in foreign cities:
- Try to become well acquainted with the public transport system instead of using taxis (conquering this makes you much more flexible).
- Learn hello, please and thank you in the local language.
- Don’t expect to be able to always go for city walks. There are often no pavements.
What I haven’t learned.:
- What to do when you see a homeless man sitting in the middle of a pedestrianisedshopping street, crying.